1 whole rabbit about 3-3 ½ lbs
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 head of green leaf lettuce or iceberg lettuce, washed and patted dry of excess moisture
1/2 cup carrot, julienned
1/2 cup daikon radish, julienned
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp white sugar, optional
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1/2 cup julienne cut cucumber
1/4 cup thinly sliced radish
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tart apple, thinly sliced and julienned
1 big handful of bean sprouts
1/2 bunch coarsely chopped cilantro
1 lime cut into wedges
1/4 cup each of hoisin sauce, sriracha hot sauce, soy sauce and fish sauce
1/2 cup crushed cashews
1. Heat your Bradley Smoker according to manufacturer’s instructions to a temperature of 235-250 degrees F, a hot smoke. Use whichever kind of smoking Bisquettes flavor that you desire. Apple, Maple, Hickory are all tasty but for this recipe I used the Chili Cumin infused Bisquettes. Oh it be tasty!
2. Season the rabbit inside and out with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place on smoker rack, stretching the legs out from the body so that the rabbit is
relatively the same thickness. This will help with even smoking. Place seasoned rabbit into preheated smoker.
3. Smoke for 3-4 hours until rabbit reaches an internal temperature of 185-190 degrees F.
4. While the rabbit is smoking, prepare your lettuce wrap garnishes. Wash the lettuce leaves.
Tip: let the lettuce soak for 10-15 minutes in icy cold water. This will help crisp the leaves. Drain and pat dry with paper towel. Roll up in a kitchen towel and refrigerate until needed.
5. Prepare the salad: Combine the carrot, diakon, rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well and set aside.
6. Slice/chop red onion, cucumber, green onion, apple, radish, bean sprouts and cilantro. Refrigerate.
7. Remove rabbit from smoker and allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Peel the cooked rabbit meat from the bones using gloves or a pair of tongs. Pull it into thin strips and strands.
Tip: Save the smoked rabbit bones to make a tasty stock.
8. Assemble your lettuce wraps: Take a leaf of lettuce, top with a small handful of carrot daikon mixture and a pinch of the other chopped vegetables. Top with handful of smoked pulled rabbit, drizzle with your choice of sauces, garnish and a squeeze of fresh lime. Serve immediately.